11 Ways to Speed Blog
Almost every blogger’s biggest obstacle to keeping up their website is the lack of time. But honestly what takes the most amount of time in blogging is setting it up. Once you have it started, maintaining and updating your blog doesn’t have to take that long. Yet reading the featured farmer guest posts, time is listed as the most common obstruction to blogging. So this post is for everyone that is short on time and but still wants to publish regularly to their site. I wouldn’t use these all the time. You should still write those longer meatier posts but these quick ideas can add variety when interspersed throughout your blog.
- Youtube: This one is super fast and should be used sparingly but sharing a video that your readers would find entertaining or helpful can give your blog a boost till you can publish again. Be sure to post the video not just the link to it.
- Press This/Blog This: These two are bookmarklets that you add to your toolbar. Once you come to a site, article or anything you want to comment on, click on the Press this button. A window will pop up where you can edit, assign to a category and save to your blog. Wham bam! you have a new post. Press This is for wordpress blogs. And Blog This is for blogspot blogs.
- List Post: The list can be about anything but to make it a quick article write about something you know about without doing any research. List anything relevant to your niche that your readers would find interesting. wish list, how to list, favorite ___ list, best tips list
- One Year Ago Today: If you have been blogging long enough, I find it interesting to go back and find post from a year ago or more to make comments on the event and show how your thinking might have changed since then and see things differently with the passing of time.
- Quotes: This one seems to be popular right now. I think that’s because it is easy. If you do use a quote, make it an interesting one that few have seen.
- Picture: If you come across or take a humorous/outrageous photo, save it for when you need a quick post and add “Caption This” or a fill in the blank sentence for your readers to add a comment to go with the shot. I did this with a funny picture of my husbands rear end sticking out of a baler. Now that is speed blogging. Super simple.
- Explain an Old Farm Saying: There are tons of old farm sayings to choose from. Pick a few and explain the meanings. Pow! You have an automatic post or two. Use the idiom in the title for search engine optimization. I wrote a post titled Make Hay While the Sunshines. It gets hits all the time.
- Review a product: To make this one speedy, write about a recent purchase you really love or really hate. The words will just flow.
- Weather: The old farm stand by, go-to topic that is so ingrained to the ag psychy. I’m sorry but any farmer worth his salt can tell any meteorologist a thing or two about forecasting. So I know you can easily write a blog post about it.
- Remember When: Recall a story from your past to share that made an impression on you, or stirs strong emotions, or was humorous.
- On the Farm Roundup: Highlight all the interesting happenings since the last time you posted. There’s always something going on around the farm. Write about even what seems to be trivial for recordings sake.
The key point to speed blogging is to write about what you already know. You don’t want to take time searching for facts or information. The videos, pictures and quotes can be prepared ahead of time and kept in draft ’til you need to publish something quickly.
Which one of these speed blogging tips inspires you? Do you have more ideas to include?